Emergency Utility Assistance

Utility Assistance

Assistance is available for heat, electric and deliverable fuel such as propane, fuel oil, wood or corn to prevent loss of service. Households must have a notice of disconnection, meet the income guidelines, been a resident of St. Clair County for at least one year and have the ability to sustain the service in the future. *

Utility assistance requires an application and proper documentation which can be filled out with the BWCA staff at the BWCA office.

This program is operated on the basis of available funding. Contributing funds come from the annual event: Walk For Warmth, THAW, Department of Health and Human Services, and Michigan Community Action (MCA).

Bring Required Documents With You

  • Proof of income for all household members (current pay stubs, child support, Social Security, SSI, disability, DHS, Unemployment, etc.)
  • Proof of household size (social security cards, or birth certificates for everyone in household)
  • Photo ID (with current address) and social security card from applicant, also photo ID for anyone over 18 years of age
  • Proof of loss of income (car repair bill, medical bill, loss of job, etc.)
  • Shut-off notice from utility company